Tuesday, October 11, 2011

FALLing For You




As I stepped onto our back deck this morning to have my coffee and cuddle with Iris I was taken back by the scene. It seemed the blazing blush of Autumn's touch had grazed the trees overnight and presented itself in such a way that I had never noticed before. Maybe it was due to dreary weather: the softening effect of the clouds or the way a good rain can leave a place feeling heavier than normal. Perhaps it was watching Iris see it for the first time. 


She strained her eyes open then steadied them, so still and fascinated that I turned to look at what she saw. But I couldn't see it. It was a graceful greeting meant only for her. A quiet conversation between eternity and this moment that only she could hear. So I looked a little closer, paying attention to the details so as to acknowledge something I'd been missing. It was a sight I've seen a hundred times, but none till now have known the significance a leaf can hold while falling from the tree its grown.


Witnessing my daughter experience Fall for the first time, seeing things with brand new eyes, perceiving her surrounding in her own way, I feel like I am too. She's like falling in love everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment